Your Home Or Vacation Cottage – Don’t Give Fires a Place to Start in Your Kitchen Or Utility Room-wastes for sale


Don’t give fires a place to start in your home or cottage. Make it a point to do a thorough inspection and review of your home much as if the yearly fire inspectors were at your abode.

Where to start? First things first start in your kitchen, kitchen areas as well as your utility room cleaning spaces. . If you do need to extend or alter existing wiring calls a trained and certified electrician not just someone you are told knows how to do it. If you do any matches or cleaning solvents ensure that they are packed away carefully and securely. In terms of matches – keep matches securely away from little hands who may just want to have fun with those matches or perhaps a lighter. Your home could go up in smoke over some little fun/

Next check your laundry utility room areas. Again check for solvents and other cleaning fluids. Guard against spontaneous ignition fires by keeping those oily rags or clothes that may be saturated with furniture polish, paints or wax in closed metal containers and preferably not on top of that stored next in hot closed closets or cupboards. In addition keep waxers and floor mops in cool open spots. The porch areas of your cottage or house might be good areas to store these cleaning utensils.

If you do ironing chores in these two area – your kitchen or utility room make it a point as well as a habit not to leave your electric iron with , that is with the current on and hot – even if its just for a rest and resting period and periods or for a brief spell. Use an automatic cut off type clothes pressing iron. In addition let the iron cool thoroughly on the protected cover of your ironing board. Then store the iron away in a safe and secure place.

Kitchens are an area that should be made fire proof. First and foremost ensure that you have a charged and even inspected fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers run down over time – they must be inspected and recharged if needed or necessary. It never hurts to play it safe.

Before you leave your home it is always a good idea to check your stove. Do not let grease accumulate on the stove. In addition make it a solid practice to keep grease containers away from your stove or stoves. If grease fires unfortunately do occur and flare up, the correct and approved procedure to extinguish such a fire is to smother the grease fire in pans by using tight lids for covers. In addition kitchen salt itself can be thrown onto grease fires to extinguish them.

Along the lines of prevention and preventative maintenance see to it that window curtains and hanging towels cannot blow into gas flames or over a hot stove. In addition check your automatic gas heater regularly and on an ongoing manner. If a house is to be left unoccupied and vacant – then turn off non-automatic types before leaving that home or vacation cottage unoccupied.

Lastly in terms of daily and regular cleaning and clean up of your home do not throw flour , uncooked cereals or dust from a vacuum cleaner or dustpan into a lit stove or waste. Dust can well be explosive. Wrap up dust and dispose of it safely.

When it comes to fire prevention in your home two main areas to inspect are your kitchen and utility room cleaning areas. Inspect these two areas well and take preventative measures. Do not give fires a place to start.